What is a fresh expression of Church?
A Fresh Expression is a form of church for our changing culture, established primarily for the benefit of those who are not yet part of any church. Around the world, Christians are stepping out in faith and beginning fresh expressions of church, new or different forms of church for a changing culture. Each fresh expression of church is unique, and designed for their particular context. They can be rural or suburban, in public spaces, housing projects and college dormitories. Some are aimed at specific groups, ranging from “Messy Church” for families with children to “Amore Groups” led by married couples. There is biker church, cowboy church, church for artists, church at or after work; the sky’s the limit. Each is an adventure in bringing the power of the Gospel to people who might never experience Christian community and the transformational and self-giving love of Jesus.
Four guiding principles tie fresh expressions together. Each one is:
- Missional – Joining God’s mission by going to those not currently served by any church
- Contextual – Grounded in the language and culture of the people in and for their particular context
- Formational – Focused on discipling people in the way of Jesus
- Ecclesial – Forming local, tangible Christian communities that are able to step out as church in their own right
- Join us for a Fresh Expressions Vision Day February 15th 9 AM - 3:30 PM at Ankeny First UMC.